Arhar with Spinach (serves 4)
Ingredients for Dahl
3 cps (250 gm) chopped spinach
1 cp. arhar dal or toovar ki dal (red gram dal)
1 small clove garlic- finely chopped (optional)
1/2 inch piece ginger- finely chopped
1 green chili- finely chopped
1/2 tsp. haldi (turmeric powder)
1.5 tsp. salt or to taste
1 tsp. oil
1. Pick, clean and wash dal. Washed chopped spinach.
2. Mix dahl, spinach, garlic, ginger, green chili, turmeric powder, salt and oil. Add 3 cups water to the dahl.
3. Pressure cook dal until it whistles*, and then reduce to low and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Prepare the Baghar and pour over the hot dal. Mix gently and serve hot.
Ingredients for Baghar
3-4 tsp. ghee or oil
1/2 tsp. jeera (cumin seeds)
1 onion- finely chopped
1 tomato- finely chopped
1 green chili- slit length ways into four pieces
1/2 tsp. garam masala (spice mix)
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tsp. amchoor (dried mango powder)
1/2 tsp. red chili powder
1. Heat oil or ghee- add cumin seeds. When they turn golden, add onions.
2. Cook onions until very brown** (they will appear slightly burned on the edges of the dice). Do not undercook the onions, browning them and stirring continuously.
3. Add diced tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes on low.
4. Add coriander powder, dried mango powder, and garam masala mix. Cook for 1/2 minute.
*I use a pressure cooker, which speeds up the process, and matches the timings on this recipe. I don’t know how long it will take to cook the dal to a mushy consistency without a pressure cooker.
**You want the onions to be very cooked as a sweetening and caramelization technique